About Classical Voice Training
Classical Voice Training is a company designed to present bespoke classical voice training courses for singers and teachers based on their groundbreaking ‘Classical Voice Training Workbook’ and Professor Janice Chapman’s groundbreaking book ‘Singing and Teaching Singing: A Holistic Approach to Classical Voice’ or S.A.T.S. by Plural Publishing. Classical Voice Training courses focus in detail on the SATS teaching model. Key elements include: Breathing and Support, Accent Method Breathing, Postural Alignment, Vocal Anatomy and Physiology, Phonation, Acoustic and Laryngeal Registration, Resonance, Articulation, Mind-skills for Performers, and Artistry and Performance. All of these components will be explored in sequence through the series of component workshops and practise group sessions on offer from October 2020 to Summer 2021.
About this Acoustic Registration in Repertoire Practice Group
This practice group will cover in detail the practical exercises and concepts from the Acoustic Registration Component Workshop.
Concept we will focus on include:
- Explore how vocal acoustic can cause registration issues and how to avoid them
- Explore Primal Acoustic Strategies and triggers including: open timbre, close timbre, yell timbre and whoop or hoot timbre
- Learn how to use acoustic registration to maximize vocal efficiency and boost your resonance potential
- How to use acoustic registration to allow the voice to ‘turn’ or ‘cover’
- Learn how to use acoustic registration to negotiate the ‘passaggio‘
- Learn how to access singers formant cluster
- Learn how to use acoustic registration to find squillo (twang, blade, snarl, AES)
- Learn how to use acoustic strategies to maintain an ‘open’ throat
- Learn how vowel migration responds to acoustic registers
- Learn to optimize your vocal tract for resonance in classical singing
Taught by Opera Singer and Vocal Craft and Classical Voice Training Director James Platt and Professor Janice Chapman, author of the acclaimed textbook Singing and Teaching Singing: A Holistic Approach to Classical Voice, this workshop is the second of a complete series of in-depth explorations of the full SATS Model.