About Classical Voice Training
Classical Voice Training is a company designed to present bespoke classical voice training courses for singers and teachers based on their groundbreaking ‘Classical Voice Training Workbook’ and Professor Janice Chapman’s groundbreaking book ‘Singing and Teaching Singing: A Holistic Approach to Classical Voice’ or S.A.T.S. by Plural Publishing. Classical Voice Training courses focus in detail on the SATS teaching model. Key elements include: Breathing and Support, Accent Method Breathing, Postural Alignment, Vocal Anatomy and Physiology, Phonation, Acoustic and Laryngeal Registration, Resonance, Articulation, Mind-skills for Performers, and Artistry and Performance. All of these components will be explored in sequence through the series of component workshops and practice group sessions on offer from October 2020 to Summer 2021.
About this Laryngeal Registers, SOVT’s & Pitching: Practice Group
This practice group will cover in detail the practical exercises and concepts from the Laryngeal Registration Component Workshop.
Concepts we will focus on include:
- Effort Levels at the Vocal Folds
- Semi-Occluded Vocal Tract Exercises as a tool to finding flow phonation
- Balancing air flow and vocal fold closure and compression
- Primal Sound triggers to easily access different laryngeal registers
- Learn how the vocal folds change for efficient pitching and variations in dynamic
- Body-Cover Condition of the vocal fold edges: Thick, Thin, Stiff, Slack
- Laryngeal Mechanism: M0, M1, Mx1, M2, Mx2, M3
- Modern scientific definitions of: Vocal Fry, Modal, Middle Register, Head Register, Chest Register, Falsetto and Whistle Register
- Explorations of ‘chest voice’, ‘head voice’, ‘mixed voice’ or ‘Voix Mixte‘, ‘passaggio‘ and ‘cover’
- Exercises to build strength and efficiency in the different laryngeal mechanisms (laryngeal registers)
- How to easily transition through different registers without breaks or clunks
Taught by Opera Singer, and Vocal Craft and Classical Voice Training Director, James Platt, and Professor Janice Chapman, author of the acclaimed textbook Singing and Teaching Singing: A Holistic Approach to Classical Voice, this workshop is the eighth session in this complete series of in-depth explorations of the full SATS Model.